How to Beat the Winter Blues
Feeling down lately? It could be due to the winter season. Between the shorter days, gloomier skies and colder temperatures, many people struggle with the winter blues. However, there are things you can do that will help brighten your spirits and keep that summertime joy during the middle of winter!
We've rounded up the top 7 things that will help you stay upbeat and make the most out of the winter months:
1. Prioritize Natural Light: One of the main reasons for the winter blues is the lack of sunlight. Make a conscious effort to spend time outdoors during daylight hours - even if it's for only 10 minutes. If you're struggling with limited sunlight, consider investing in a light therapy lamp to mimic the effects of sunlight and boost your mood. Check out this cute Amazon sunlight therapy lamp here.
2. Stay Active: You are probably already aware that exercise is a powerful mood enhancer. Try embracing a new winter activity like ice skating, skiing, or even a brisk winter walk. If outdoor activities aren't in the cards, try joining a gym or online workout classes. Our favorite is MNT's online pilates classes!
3. Stay Cozy: Embrace the coziness of winter by creating warm and inviting spaces in your home. Add soft blankets, cushions, and warm lighting to create a comforting atmosphere. Don't forget footwear! Try a pair of our new Luna slippers. Made from the coziest teddy-bear-like sherpa we could find!
4. Socialize: It can be hard to find the energy to get out of the house when the weather is stormy out. While we're all for staying inside and cozy, be careful not to spend too much time alone. Make an effort at least once a week to get out of the house, see a friend and do something fun. And if you can't get out, try Zooming or Facetiming that friend you keep meaning to call.
5. Set Winter Goals: If you find yourself staying at home with more time on your hands during the winter, use it as a time to set and achieve personal goals. Whether it's learning a new skill, starting a creative project, or reading that book you've been meaning to pick up, having goals can give you a sense of purpose and accomplishment during the colder months. See our other post here about making the most of January.
6. Practice Self-Care: Winter is likely the best season to prioritize self-care. Take relaxing baths, practice mindfulness and meditation, and pamper yourself with skincare routines. Our favorite? A glass of wine, luxurious bubble bath and slipping into our cozy slippers.
7. Brighten Up Your Space: The next time you're at the store, buy some fresh flowers. Seeing a colorful living thing will remind you how beauty can be found all around and to focus on the good.
By implementing these things, you can transform the winter blues into an opportunity for personal growth, connection, and self-discovery. Remember that a positive mindset can make all the difference in navigating the colder months with resilience and joy.