Lessons Learned: Keys to Making your Dreams a Reality
The idea for Joyasol has been a dream our founder, Christina Bullock, has had for a long time. After studying design and marketing, Christina went to work for a shoe company and had an inclination that someday she would have her own shoe brand. But was unsure how or when she would be able to start one, especially with two young kids.
Christina's love for shoes goes back as far as she can remember
When a sudden family death upturned her life, Christina reconsidered her career and life goals. She realized how precious life is and that we must live a life full of purpose and joy.
Thinking of her children's future, she realized the importance of climate change, so she then went on to study sustainability and train with former Vice President Al Gore as part of his Climate Reality Project.
Suddenly a lightbulb went off. What if she combined her love for shoes with her love for the people and planet?
She noticed there weren’t enough brands who shared the same values as her in ethics, sustainability, and giving back. And the same time, designs that fit her on-the-go lifestyle that she could dress up or down, while still feeling comfortable and looking stylish.
So one day, about a year and a half ago, she decided to just go for it. She began by taking online classes in shoemaking, entrepreneurship, and fashion sustainability.
The early days of Joyasol
Her journey in starting Joyasol hasn't always been easy. There's been some ups, downs, and in-between moments. And as a mom of two, a lot of juggling!
Here are some of her top lessons learned so far. With this, Christina hopes to inspire women to pursue their dreams and not hold back on living a life full of purpose and joy.
- Don’t wait for the perfect moment to go after your dreams. Truth is, there will never be an ideal time. Life is complicated. Start today. It doesn’t have to be perfect - it’s better to try than not at all. Because the worst thing to do is not go after what you want and have regrets later on, when it may be too late.
- Be resilient. Life throws us unexpected challenges and curveballs. It’s okay to take breaks and time off to deal with them. But don’t lose sight of your dream. Take time for yourself, get back up and keep going when the time is right. It’s okay if it takes longer than you thought. Don’t give up. The results will be even more rewarding once you finally reach your goals.
- Build a support system. Friends, family, neighbors, online communities. Wherever and whenever you can, tell people about your goals. You never know who may know someone who can help you get to where you want to be. Check in with them from time to time and let them know how you’re doing and if there are any areas you’re feeling stuck. They may offer a fresh perspective and advice that could save you time and money.
- Take care of yourself. As an entrepreneur, the to-do list is endless. There simply isn’t enough time in the day to do everything. Do what you can everyday and be easy on yourself. Good things take time to build. Balance work with self-care. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate spa day or vacation. It can simply be taking time off in the middle of the day for a run or enjoying a nice glass of wine (or two) in the evening. Take time to reset to avoid burnout. You may not have gotten everything done on your checklist at the end of the day, but you will be better in the long run.
- Stay positive. You are your only limit. A big part of success is your mindset. Sure, we all have bad days, but the important thing to remember is to keep optimistic and stay focused on the big picture and what really matters. Somedays it will feel like the whole world is against you and you may feel like quitting. But just remember tomorrow is a new day and one step closer to achieving your dream.
- Uplift other women. Being a woman in today’s world is hard enough. Together, we can achieve more when we help each other out. Women can tend to come from more of a scarcity mindset, thinking there’s not enough for everyone. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Life is abundant and there’s plenty for everyone to enjoy a fulfilling and prosperous life.
Think big, the sky's the limit
Thanks for being a part of our journey so far. We’re less than two weeks away from starting production and will be launching shortly thereafter. Follow us on Instagram for the latest!